Drugs have been used to ease the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and give people a better quality of life. Many such therapies are designed to fight the effects of the build-up of amyloid proteins that form a plaque around brain neurons. If only this plaque could be prevented from forming in the first place, people would have a much lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
Recent research out of Canada suggests that the bone marrow holds the key to cleansing amyloid plaque from the brain. Microglia derived from the bone marrow is able to attack the most toxic forms of this plaque. The key then is to increase this natural scavenger and get it to release from the bone marrow, so it can do its job. This natural defense mechanism is now thought to be triggered by boosting the immune system, according to the trials conducted on laboratory mice.
What are the best ways to boost the immune system and cleanse potentially harmful plaques that could be building up in your brain? A diet that is balanced and full of antioxidants is the primary way. Here are some other tips to getting the best immune system building nutrition and reducing the factors that weaken it.
1. Get Your Essential Fatty Acids. This is the number one immune system builder. Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are necessary for optimal health. A fish oil supplement is the best source of fatty acids since American diets don’t normally contain enough fish to provide these nutrients.
2. Take Care of Your Lymphatic System. This is the system of organs, nodes, and vessels that help cleanse the body continuously. Using the Chinese herb, Ligustrum (nu zhen zi) increases bone marrow production of lymphocytes and benefits the thymus.
3. Get Enough Exercise. Exercise increases the production of T lymphocyte and reduces stress, both of which support a strong immune system.
4. Look at Your Lifestyle. Drinking alcohol and caffeine and smoking cigarettes all weaken the immune system. Also, excessive stress for long periods of time or not getting enough sleep makes you more susceptible to all kinds of diseases.
5. Look at Your Environment. Household cleaners, pesticides, and food additives all suppress the immune system. If there is an abundance of these types of factors in your life, all the good nutrition may not be enough to counteract their impact.